When Melinda made plans to come out and stay with us for a week and a half, I knew I wanted to do some fun, crafty projects with her. And since Tim had recently installed a fan in the boys’ room, I knew exactly what project I wanted to do. 🙂
The fan started out as every fan does…a plain, wood look. It took me a little while to figure out how to get the blades off and actually do it. I was able to accomplish this task (with help from Melinda) without losing any screws or washers. 🙂
Drew loved helping Tim install the fan, so when I began “working” on it he was immediately interested. 🙂 After I took the fan blades off, Drew helped us carry them to our dining room table.
Knowing that I have a tendency to rush things, I tried very hard to be exact in tracing, cutting and matching everything so that the end product would look good. 🙂
I have seen so many craft projects around the web that involved Mod Podge and I finally decided to pick some up for this project. I’m so glad I did! It was fun and easy and now I want to find and do more Mod Podge projects. 🙂
As soon as Drew saw what we were doing with the Mod Podge he wanted to help. And, of course, as soon as Carter saw what Drew was doing, he wanted to give it a try. 🙂 Melinda was so sweet and patiently helped them…
And this is how the fan turned out. Although there are some obvious mistakes, I’m very pleased with how it turned out. We learned a few lessons (see below), so if I decide to “upgrade” some of our other fans, hopefully they will turn out perfect.
#1. It is difficult to get seams to match up. Next time I think I’ll try some wrapping paper or, perhaps, fabric that is big enough to cover the entire blade.
#2. Once the Mod Podge is on the top of the paper it is very easy to scrape the paper off accidentally (when trying to remove air bubbles) and you’re left with a torn, white spot. 🙂
For instructions on how to do this project, visit this blog.
~ Carrie ~